Volunteers are an important part of our library.
Due to the large number of volunteer applicants, please fill out a form in the library (forms are available at the circulation desk); when there is an opportunity we will contact you for a training day. Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age and be completing 20 hours of service. We depend on our volunteers so please make sure that you can volunteer on a fairly consistent basis.
*Volunteering at the library comprises of shelving which requires frequent bending and general library knowledge. Application forms can be found at the circulation desk.
As a volunteer you can:
- Learn new skills
- Meet new people
- Gain work experience
- Better your community
- Stay active
- Keep up with the newest programs, services & book arrivals!
SCIENCE IN THE SUMMER VOLUNTEERS 2016
Needed: July 11 & 12 @ 10:00am-3:00pm OR July 13 & 14 @ 10:00am-3:00pm
Science in the Summer is a hands on science program sponsored by GSK & implemented by The Franklin Institute. Volunteers are vital to the success of this program. Science in the Summer Volunteers should be under 18 & entering Grades 8-12.
Please print the application and return it to the library filled out and signed by both the volunteer and parent.
Duties of the volunteer would include:
• assisting the GSK Science in the Summer teacher with setting up, distributing, and cleaning up program materials
• helping the program participants during experiments
• gathering student supplies daily and distributing them at the conclusion of the program
Expectations of the volunteer are:
• committing to volunteer for the full duration of the program, whether it is 2 days or 4 days long
• arriving 15 minutes before class and discussing your role with the program teacher
• following directions given to you by the program teacher and/or librarian
• demonstrating non-disruptive behavior including no cell phone use during the program and no talking while the program teacher is instructing the class
• wearing all safety equipment, including safety goggles (provided by GSK)
• following the safety rules by wearing closed toe shoes (sneakers are recommended)
• notifying the library by calling if you are unable to come in to volunteer